Monday, September 21, 2009

A One, A Two . . .

Paying the mortgage. Supporting a lifestyle to which one has become accustomed. Paying the bills. Keeping the kids in designer wear. That's what working is all about.

I have recently had this is ephiphany. Work is hard. Work is not easy. Work does not always mean doing the right things. Work is a dance. A two-step if you will. It's like walking. Quick, quick, slow. Slow, quick, quick. (Bob recently taught me that.)

Seriously though. When was the last time someone, in their 9 to 5 g-day said, Eureka, I have found the cure for cancer. Or, "Gadzooks, we have done it." Ok, maybe the latter. Most of the time, when you work for someone or something else, it is about them, their priorities, their problems. We in the workforce exist to find solutions for other people who have problems.

There is nothing wrong with that. As long as you realize that it is indeed a dance. Pick your left foot up, put your right foot down, and shake it all about, do the hokey pokey and that's what it's all about.

I try to remember this, because I am one of those people who really cares a lot about what I do. I never do anything half way. When I step into something, I do it. I don't act. I don't pretend. I don't do things half way.

There is a reality that we all must remember in this dance. In order to keep dancing, you need to keep making things happen. You need to keep bringing things to the table. You need to deliver.

But I can hear what you are thinking. "But I do deliver, and it didn't matter." The question I would ask is this: Do you know what "they" are looking for. Do you know where the line is? Do you understand what the world looks like from their perspective?

In my career, I have tried to do only one thing: Make someone else successful. And I have. And I hope there are others behind me helping me to do that, because, that, my blog-reading friends, is what this dance is all about.

That is my epiphany for this day. Over and out.

No comments: